Pages

Friday, May 22, 2015

Convergence, Fibonacci, Thread Play, Decisions, Decisions

There are so many decisions in the creative life. Today, I'm pondering a piece that would incorporate several different artist's techniques. I like the interplay of fabrics in a 'convergence' piece. Ricky Tims has shown us that. And ever since Caryl Bryer Fallert was on The Quilt Show I knew I'd enjoy making a 'Fibonacci influenced' piece. They have some similarities, yet they are different. I have done some free-cutting and improvisational piecing. Liked the freedom when I was working on those.  I think that can be attributed to Joe Cunningham.  So, as you can see, lots of possibilities! 
To start with, it seems that I want to use some of those recently dyed fat quarters. Maybe one of each subgroup that came out of that workshop. Here are my choices. 
 
If I choose to put them together in a 'convergence' sorta way, these are the pairs. 
 
The one on the left is NOT goldens, it is the greens like in the top photo. The light reflected at the wrong moment. 
 
These look pretty close to reality. You may notice some dye specks. That's due to the ice dyeing method. Sometimes an ice piece melts faster than it can mix with the dye powder that's sitting on top of it. I don't let little things like this bother me. I love the overall textures and color splitting and mixing that happens. 
Because I have 20 more fat quarters that coordinate with these, I will be able to do something a bit out of my ordinary on the borders, outer edges, ?? And if I keep the narrowest strips on the wide side, I could do a little Libby Lehman 'ribbon thread play'. That's another technique that's on my bucket list. 
I really do need to get a bigger bucket, this one has been spilling out on the floor,,,

I'm off to do some creative playing. I hope you're having a great day too. 

May God bless you with the ability to see your bucket as overflowing, and not see the floor as getting messy. 
Luann



No comments: