Saturday, August 26, 2017

August Review


The girls look pretty happy with their twirly skirts. I used my serger on sewing the panels together, and it went lickety split!  I think Molly's trying to tell me she wanted hers to be longer, but sometimes the fabric is only so big,,,   Actually, she is always making silly faces. 
Well, I couldn't let this little man go off to school without something from his Granny! I pulled photos that I thought he'd enjoy and had them printed onto the front of a little notebook/journal. I think he's happy with it!  I sent some things along for the big kids too, but you know how much they like their pictures taken. On the left are the eggs that are being collected up at their farm. Smallest is from the 'laying' hen, next is from one that will be a chicken pot pie ingredient, and the largest is from the ducks. Hopefully the 'layers' will produce bigger sized eggs as they mature. But heck, if I was up there, it would help with the calorie restriction I should be involved in, but aren't,,,,! Soon, maybe, maybe not!


These are mug rugs and placemats that Hannah and Molly worked on while they were visiting. They chose their fabrics and helped with the choosing of quilting designs. They also learned that I watch the longarm quilting machine when it's stitching, because thread sometimes breaks. I put the bindings on because we ran out of time during the vacation. 
These next 3 collages are of the 12 comfort quilts for Evergreen Quilt Guild in Green Bay, Wisconsin. These will go to military members and families. Cindy, a friend of mine in WI, sent them out with my son when he came on vacation. I supplied the batting and did the quilting. The flag fabric is a wide back from Missouri Star Quilt Company, that I purchased. The red and yellow backings were from Ron and Emily, friends from here in SC. I pieced 3 lengths at 72" each together of the yellow then put 2 quilts onto the piece. I try to be frugal with fabric, so I opted to not use a diagonal seaming this time for piecing the backing fabric. I used my gentle meander design for the quilting on most of them. Then, because I do get bored with that one, I switched it up just a bit. 


Here's a quilt that I pieced the top and backing entirely with my serger. It was one of those things I've always wanted to try and it sure got the job done quickly. I then used the circle meander that I love as the quilting design. It will be ample for a twin-sized bed. The top and right side have a wide border of a sky and tree fabric. The bottom and left wide border is a deep teal. I used a jelly roll called Sand in My Shoes by McKenna Ryan. I purchased it through Missouri Star Quilt Company on a Daily Deal and saved about $20 on the jelly roll.  I have the binding cut from a fabric that will read like a stripe once it is sewn on. Hope to get it done soon.  

I'm just one quilt away from hitting my 5,000,000 stitches! I think I may just have to do a free motion one just for the fun of it. 

Till next time, stay cool and create. 

The above was written on August 26th. I thought I might get back into the sewing room and at the machine to put the binding on the above quilt. It didn't happen, I got a bit sidetracked. Now I'm in the process of helping get some quilts for the people that were recently hit by Hurricane Harvey. I'll be hitting that 5,000,000 mark on my stitch counter very soon!! 

So this is my review and update for August 2017. May God bless the work of 'our' hands. Amen.