Pages

Thursday, October 31, 2019

Granny Pumpkin Head takes 1st Place

Molly won 1st place in the Third Grade pumpkin decorating contest with her Granny Pumpkin Head. Now where does that child come up with a name like that? Except for the color of the eyes, pretty close to what I look like when I’ve spent too much time in the sun without sunscreen. LOL
Today I helped out my neighbor by heming this cute coat/dress. It had a very long dipping back and she’s not real tall so it looked unattractive. I was pleasantly surprised when I started looking for a thread that would ‘go’ with the butterscotch color. I had a bobbin that was meant for applique work that matched exactly. Sometimes things just work out so nicely.


You may remember that I had quilted the borders on my Tequamenon Falls wallhanging. The center scene became poofy and I’ve been trying to decide what I should do to ‘fix’ it. I didn’t want to remove the stitching, but that’s what has happened. Not sure just when I’ll get back to working on it, but the scene will be done FIRST, then the borders.



I really like the quilting design I used on this Wee Woodlands quilt. I did it in a very improvisational manner. That’s another way of saying, ‘by the seat of my pants’ cuz I didn’t have a clue what to do!





I’ve been working at making Santa Suit Quilts. Today I washed several loads of plaid flannels and fleece for backings. I wanted to use my serger for construction so the seam allowances would be overlooked and the possibility of the seams pulling apart would be very slim. I was just setting up and started down the first strip set, and my feed dogs stopped feeding fabric. Yikes! I sure hope I don’t have to wait 4 weeks to get it back from the repair shop. Hopefully we will drop it off tomorrow.
This is the quilting design I might use on the Santa Suit Quilts, once things are ‘feeding’ properly.

Time for me to see what rabbit hole is just around the corner. I never fall in, I JUMP in with both feet.



7 comments:

Madtatter80 said...

cute pumpkin and great quilting I hope the sewing machine get repaired in time !

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

The pumpkin head is PRICELESS!! Grandkids are the best part of life! I hope your machine is repaired soon!!!!

Luann Fischer said...

Carolyn and Terry,
So nice to have you ladies stop by. I went with my machine to a Sewing Repair man this afternoon, we worked on the serger and a minor problem on another machine I brought along. $40 later and I have a working serger and my old sewing machine is running like a champ. The only thing is, he showed me exactly why my feed dogs stop working on my serger and it is actually a flaw in the design of the mechanics. So, it can happen at any point in time, I’m not sure if I want to buy a backup, or just try to get through these quilts with what I have at the present. Tough decisions ,,,

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Sounds like a replacement is in order since it is a flaw in the design of the mechanics. . .glad it is fixed now! I'd say go for it and see how long the fix lasts.

Luann Fischer said...

It is a flaw in design, but it’s too many years old to expect any compensation. I may write to them asking if they are using the same fitting (ill fitting as it is) in their current models? That might spark someone to look into that part...
At present, I’m off to the Scottish Highland Games today, and it’ll probably be Monday before I give it a go again. I’m going to keep the thought of purchasing a new one in mind so it won’t be a total surprise when it happens. LOL
If this fix gets me through the Santa Suit quilts for this year, I’ll be content, if not,,,, I’ll do what I have to do to get them finished. I can always turn the process over to my sewing machine, and just make the deeper seam allowance I allowed for with the serger.
Things have a way of working out, God does stuff like that.
Thanks for stopping by.

HRH-DMK said...

Luann, I found your blogspot internet URL in the comments section of one of Karen Brown's "Just Get It Done" Quilt videos, so no, I am not a phishing thingy or a robot (!). I love your granddaughter's pumpkin, especially those pink sponge curlers (which I still have in my closet... they made my long thin hair very oingo-boingo when I put them on dry hair and slept in them back in my high school days in the early 1980's... and I really liked the look. However, I am no longer willing to "suffer to be beautiful", as my Mom used to like to say, so I probably won't use them again. :-)
I think it was very generous of you to offer to help "Ellen R" who had taken on a ton of quilt tops and promised to quilt them for her local charity, without you even knowing where she lives. Quilters have such big hearts!!
I loved your improv quilting pattern with the square-edged petalled flowers... and your Christmas quilting panto is so cute. Good luck with your serger!! ~Diana from Hamilton (Canada)

Luann Fischer said...

Diana,
Thank you for identifying yourself. And giving me some idea of how you found me was extra special. Your kind comments are very appreciated. Did you join Karen Brown's UFO Challenge? There are 75 in the current group and I hope she does another one early in 2020, she’s so encouraging with her YouTube videos.
Hopefully I’ll get to see some of your creative adventures too.
Again, thanks for your response to the anonymous situation.
Happy creating,