I'll start at the beginning of the month.
I finally cut and appliquéd my hexies onto the 'slashed' area of my One Block Wonder quilt. They did exactly what I wanted, without attracting any undue attention. This is now a FINISHED quilt.
Below are pillow cases for McKade and Eliza, two sweet kids in the UP of Michigan. They'll get these, and their quilts when I visit this fall. Under them are the cases that go with the OBW quilt. Four pillow cases FINISHED.
This was where my 'pojagi-look' piece is at. I've since removed it from my design wall, after pinning all those pieces onto a sheer curtain panel. Most of them are silks, or very thin cloth. I want this to be a curtain art item, so I'm really trying to be ok with no batting or backing. The plan is to sew them to the curtain and then hang it for enjoying. Most of these pieces were received from people around the world that I traded surface design cloth with, back in 2014. September?
I realized that I had not gifted pillow cases to my sister or brother in law when I gave them quilts. So I made one to go with the Civil War reproduction fabric quilt, and a black and purple one for my sister. The other 6 pictured here go with 3 quilts that are on the 'waiting bench'. Eight more FINISHED cases.
In my desire to reduce the basket of "what am I ever going to do with these left overs", I pieced this table topper. I had 19 blocks. Why not 20? Probably will find it someday in the bottom of another basket. I chose to add the gray sashing, but as I was doing this, I found that I had 15 blocks that were the same size and 4 that were SMALLER. Now had they been larger it wouldn't have been quite the issue, but because of this I added extra depth borders to one block. The center fabric is an old timey print of canisters, the backing is coffee cups and coffee beans on green. So, Canisters On Caffeine is a FINISHED table topper.
Kathy Shaw has started another workshop for the basics in crazy quilting. If you google her you can sign up for her next one. I've done plenty of embroidery, but never this much precision. I wasn't sure I'd like it, but I approached it with an open mind, and I'm loving it. She sets out all of the perameters in this basic class and really gives you in depth instruction. There are 12 tasks and I have finished 6 this month. It is not a 'finish', but it is RIGHT ON TIME. PS-Kathy Shaw's workshops/classes are free!
This is a completed top. I used Labyrinth, by Debbie Maddy. She visited the quilt guild and many of the members took her workshop. I wasn't able to make that one, but I purchased the pattern. When I got home that night, I went to her website, clicked thru for her Craftsy class, and got it at 50% off. I was pumped, as it includes patterns for 3 other quilts. I used the EQ7 to help me get this to look how I wanted it to, and for the size I needed. Listening to the Craftsy class helped me pick up on her techniques. Well worth the investment. I did use my Accuquilt Go to do all of the half square triangles. It made this easy to cut. Then I put each piece up on the design wall to make sure I would get the optical illusion I wanted. I used some of my hand dyed fabrics and I've ordered specific thread for the quilting. The top is pieced, but I won't call this a finish, until the binding is on. Must be done in September.
My Jamaican Carpenter's Wheel quilt for Mr. Ethan is ready for the binding. This is from the Debbie Maddy class on Craftsy. I had a few thread issues, but all is fixed. I was told that he favored Rasta colors. When I asked what Rasta colors where, I was told, 'red, yellow, green, and black like the Jamaican flag'. So I Pinterest searched for Jamaican colors, found a palette of 8 and went into my fabric on a search. I thought I was the only one that liked such bold colors, but I've got a 16 year old Grandson that likes them too. Yeah!! Another one for September.
Yesterday, when I just could not get in the right frame of mind to sit and stitch, I decided to clean up the crumbs, snippets, etc from my basket of trimmings from Batiks and hand dyed cloth. I've always wanted to do a confetti quilt, so I decided to fill some jars with colors for that future project. Both of my trimmings baskets have been cleaned. Last week I did the basket with commercially printed fabrics.
That's where I'm at today at 3pm. I may go to the sewing room and get that binding on, or I may just go take a nap! I have found that blogging about my month, and using pictures, shows "me" that I've had another creative month. The name of my blog is, let's create today, not let's get it finished today. So with that in mind, I'm off on my next creative adventure. Luann