Pages

Thursday, July 4, 2019

June - Boy did I get things moved along!!!


 
Enchanted Garden quilt, being constructed.
 
And deconstructed....

I’ve run into some snags on this one, and until I get them worked out, I only have an In Process pic.

I invested quite a bit of time moving many of my projects along. Some of them are very close to being finished but I’ll save those pictures and info for the future. I did long arm 10 quilts for our Charity Projects this month and those stitch totals are really adding up.

This is a table topper made by using Leah Day’s method of joining previously quilted pieces with sashing strips between them. Quite ingenious, I will use this method again when the need arises.
42 pet beds were made from fabrics I rec’d through Orangeburg Lutheran Church’s destashing day. These have all been given to the Dorchester Paws facility. There was also about 100 yards of double knit fabric that I washed, dried and folded nicely that was passed along also. Below the pet beds is a picture of some ‘spud bags’ and mug rugs that I processed out of the stash in my sewing room.



We did a major renovation of our backyard. Actually, Baker’s Pond and Garden Center did the work. Bryan and George made the plans. I just enjoyed getting to see it progress from an overgrown and uninviting place to a very relaxing and peaceful retreat. The furnishings and a fire pit are coming soon. We will be able to enjoy this most of the year. July and August not very likely, but one never knows if we’ll get a bit of a cold snap. LOL





I had 4 hanks of clothesline that I had dyed a time ago. I didn’t like the colors they turned out, so I started out wrapping one of them for the first bowl. The one with the medallion flower on the edge. I planned to wrap as I went for the next one and use all 3 of the remaining hanks. However, I thought why waste time wrapping the portion that will be the bottom of the bowl/basket? I decided to just use some interesting thread and no fabric for that portion, but as I proceeded, I began to really like how the threads changed the color of the clothesline. I ended up finishing by putting all 3 hanks into the last one, and did not use and fabric on it at all. Quite the interesting turn of events for me. And for our  guild meeting we were asked to make a BINGO block that we used for playing a few games with and then turned them in to the ‘community of stitchers’ that will make some charity quilts with them.




A friend came by to learn about the longarm machine. She’ll be back to do more. Her quilt was a great project for her to start with.

These next  quilts are 2 that I have  finished and one top that is hanging on my ironing board. It is a 76 by 79 unit. I used a fat quarter bundle and did some trimming, slicing, and stitching. Not sure if it will be a top or back. Time will tell. The black and orange medallion is a project started in March at a workshop in Columbia. The Tree of Life is going to be called Cedar of Lebanon, because the branches appear to be growing upwards quite distinctively. That was from Leah Day and our Friendship Quilt Along. The ‘beachy’ looking one was made by using Cake Mix #7 method. I really like the backing fabric too. It is very colorful and fun looking.





Lately we are dealing with an a/c unit that keeps acting up, lol  It's our 4th day without it working and it has been high 90s everyday!! Things will get done and I'll be back into the sewing room soon.

3 comments:

Lynda said...

Forty-two pet beds?? Wow! Love the sashing idea. I need to check that out. Also love the bowls. You know I really like the dyed ones better and they are faster and easier than wrapping once the cord is dyed. I've got cord on the shelf to dye. That might wake up my muse who has been silent lately. You always are an inspiration to me. Happy 4th a day late!

Sheri said...

Hi, You are the first person to blog the Enchanted Garden laser cut quilt. Did you finish it? I am at the step of joining the blocks together to form the quilt top. Did you stitch around each motif? I am not, I am new to applique so feel I’m not experienced enough. I plan to quilt it with stitch in ditch. I felt everything was going well til the applique stitching so will not attempt. I will only use the quilt as a deco piece. I purchased mine from Shabby Fabric. Appreciate a response. Thank you! ~Sheri

Luann Fischer said...

Sheri,
Things did NOT go as planned! I had the entire top together and had gotten 6 of the blocks applique pieces ironed on,,, when I found that some of them did not stay! I also bought mine through Shabby Fabrics. I had planned to trust the fusible, but realized it might not be a good idea when it didn’t hold completely. So I took the quilt apart into the blocks, then I started the tedious process of appliqueing all pieces down with monopoly from Superior Threads. The thread works great, but free motion quick is NOT a strong skill for me so even though my stitches won’t show at the distance I planned for it to hang at, I’ve lost my umph! I have two blocks done, 4 with their pieces on top waiting to be stitched, and 6 are just the blocks. It is on my list of projects for this fall. I’d like to complete it by the first of 2020, but I’m not sure I will. I will post pictures once I get it finished. I have some definite ideas about how I’d do it differently if I were to do another similar quilt. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. I wish I could have been of more help but I’m not far enough along with it to give any advice, other than watch for that adhesive to stay stuck!