Pages

Sunday, February 28, 2021

Feb/March Challenge Update 4

Spring comes to South Carolina.

15 bags of fabric stash pieces were delivered to me this week. Everything has been sorted and all but 3 bags have been picked up or delivered for use by others. The remaining bags will be going to Outreach program with the guild.


These are the 4 pair of leggings I wanted to get done this month.


This quilt finished at 68x84. A nice size for a gift.



Here are my latest 3 quilt tops, waiting for finishing.

This is an 8” Mariners Compass block. No paper piecing or y-seams! All done with strips of fabric and a couple of specialty rulers. My next one will be an 18” block, using the same process. However, it will have skinny points.. 

While I was working on the larger quilt I chose a jellyroll of precuts. These are supposed to be 2&1/2” wide! After using a Creative Grids ruler to trim them correctly I couldn’t help but put the two edges back to back to see just how 'off' they were! And sometimes we wonder WHY something we’ve sewn together doesn’t measure correctly?! Pinked edges are the worst, second irritation is when a fat quarter is cut so far off grain that you’re lucky to get a 17x20 out of what should be 18x21. Oh the joys of precuts! LOL


Saturday I did some paint pouring. 2 are for a client, and 2 were experiments. 


I really like how this experiment turned out. It’s much better than my first two. 

Sunsets are so amazing at this time of year. 

After looking over my intentions for this challenge, I’m right on target for completing my first list. Later today, 2/28/21, I will write up those specific to March and include them on my next post. 

Linking up with Lynda over on her blog  


Have a wonderful day 
Luann 


8 comments:

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Good for you to have done so well with your monthly goals! I need to make some leggings. . .maybe I'll get those on my to do list soon. Yours look fun days are ahead of you. I love your experiment pour. . .very cool looking. As for the precuts. . .I agree. . .especially about the pinked edges. . .I recently worked with a set that were too narrow!!!!

Luann Fischer said...

Terry, thanks for commenting about those pinked edges sometimes being too narrow! I find it hard to sew if I’m looking at that edge, so whenever possible, a pinked edge goes under the straighter edge. You’ve been pretty busy too. I’m glad to see that many of us are maneuvering around what our lives are dealing with at the moment,,, soon I hope things start to feel more ordinary.

Lynda said...

Luann,

Loving those leggings. Looking forward to seeing them done. Again, looks like you had another busy week. Love your pouring. I got into that a while ago and it just didn't do anything for me. I keep thinking I'll try it again. But yours are so pretty! Fifteen bags - Oh my. That was a job in itself just getting those all sorted!! Have a good week.

Luann Fischer said...

Lynda, My leggings are so comfortable and they launder easily. That’s a winning situation for me. It’s taken me awhile to figure out what I like and don’t like about pouring paint. Mostly, I enjoy playing with colors and giving them away. Two for the neighbor went to her house a few minutes ago, lol. Thanks for stopping by and commenting. This has certainly gotten me into a more productive mode.

Jenny said...

That's an awful lot of scraps in big bags! I was given some fabric last week, courtesy of a retiring quilter, and still trying to sort though it all, certainly takes time.

Luann Fischer said...

Jenny,
Yes it certainly does take time to sort thru someone else's fabrics. I usually start with emptying one bag onto the table so I can see if it’s all quilting fabric, scraps, blocks, home decor cloth, or 'stuff' that might not be of use to the average quilter. I have specific homes (people that will utilize specific items) for: flannels, batiks, small but worthwhile scraps, scraps too small to be easily sewn together, home decor fabric, fabric best suited for clothing, and of course yardage that will work nicely as backings for charity quilts, etc. This makes the sorting go much quicker. I also have put a 'mental limit' on how much I might allow myself to keep. That’s probably the hardest part of the job!!! Thanks for stopping by. PS I apologize for typing Jinny instead of Jenny on your blog. I’ll get it correct next time.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Bits of GREEN for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge appear throughout your post. Looking forward to seeing what you will be making for the RSC!

Luann Fischer said...

I’m pulling more 'greens together for a few specific blocks I have in mind. Soon, I’ll be posting those too. Thanks for stopping by.