Pages

Wednesday, March 31, 2021

March Final & 1st Quarter Review

 

This panel was a challenge for me, but  I prevailed and figured all things out! 


I added wide borders of the panda print and the leaf print, after making the first borders fit the panel. Something just didn’t look right. Heather helped by letting me know that Myriah is not fond of green. So, off came the green strips. That’s when it became obvious to me that the panda print borders were too wide! Yep, off they came. I worked at figuring out my next move.  I created another red/black border strip with black sashings before and after. Next, I quilted it up with a black thread on the back, and variegated red on the front. The binding is black with deep grey print and stitched to the back, wrapped to the front and top stitched with the same red variegated thread used in the needle while quilting. The backing is creamy with black calligraphy of Kanji, one of the official languages of Japan. 


The backing fabric.

I decided to work on an envelope ephemera-holding journal. I coffee dyed envelopes and carefully opened them up while wet. That’s when the glue would let go. I tore and tossed more than I kept, but I ended up with 18 total. I only used some of them in this booklet. I added a button to both the front cover and the back to serve as a closure. A length of waxed linen thread, double and wound up until it curled back onto itself wraps neatly around the front button and is attached to the back cover button. I stitched the signatures and covers  together with long stitch. I glued the envelope flaps back together and once they are filled with goodies I can use a large paper clip to secure things inside if needed. I do believe the button and thread closure will work well. This will most likely sit on its spine while I pull things from the envelopes. The next one will have the envelopes top edge at the top edge of the book, not the right hand side. 


I’m not sure if this tracing on interfacing will show, but I’m hoping. 

This is how far I’ve gotten with creating a scrappy applique elephant. I hope to finish this by May 1st.



Review Time - First Quarter 2021

We’ve said goodbye to three dear people since the first of January: Nancy Sharpia, Joann Fischer, and Cynthia Hunter. This is never easy but they each knew Jesus as their Savior so there’s a peace about it too. Our visits with family and friends give us comfort through this difficult time. Thanks to all the love and support we are healing from the loss. 

My reading time has been invested in the following areas:
Daily Power by Craig Groeschel
Guideposts Daily Walk With God various writers 
Wisdom From Women of The Bible by Edith Deen
Essentialism by Greg McKeown
Atomic Habits by James Clear
Holy Spirit Bible Study with Ann Graham Lotz
Holy Week Bible Study with Laurie McClure

Next to eating the wonderful culinary delights created by George, visiting our favorite palette tempting eateries is a delight. George is more apt to try whatever is new on the menu while I request something that I’ve already got a hankerin for. Three months, 12+ locations, some more than once,,, I’m spoiled! 3 Little Birds, Kiko's Asian Fusion, Eggs Up Grill, Charleston Bakery & Deli, Magnolia Bakery Cafe, Middleton Place Kitchen, 123 Sweetwater, Sea Biscuit, Acme Restaurant and Grill, Chestnut Grill, Mi Fiesta, Baker’s BBQ, and Miki's Restaurant and Grill. 

I used my longarm quilting machine to get 5 quilt sets finished for Cobblestone Quilters Guild Outreach Program, 1 for Quilts of Valor, and 7 of my making. They are completed with everything except a label! Maybe someday I’ll get that on my agenda,,,lol. Nik and Myriah will get their quilts sent or we'll deliver them while on our spring vacation. Jonathon's was taken to him when Russ came through our area on his way Florida. That leaves 4 that will be blessings to whomever God sends my way. 

I also sorted through 15 bags of fabrics that were given to me for charitable work. I’ve decided that I’ll leave that work up to younger people with stronger arms for hauling those heavy bags. 

When Russ passed through he also took 2 more pictures to Brian and Melinda (they now have 8 in their collection). I’m very low on pictures right now. I found so much enjoyment in giving them to delivery people. I even gave some to my mail carriers, and the garbage pickup lady who's truck broke down. They are important and I wanted them to know how much I appreciate what they do. I have poured 23 so far this year. 

Creative Adventures were a huge part of these past 3 months. Things like Brazilian Cartonnage (fabric covered box making), Book Making, Scrappy Applique (just starting this), and 4 pair of leggings kept things moving. Mission Inspiration monthly and mid month mini have given me a new avenue to venture down. And one of the more challenging things was creating Mariners Compass blocks with strips of fabric and specialty rulers. My friend Barb and I laughed a lot the day we did this together. I look forward to our next get together. It’s going to be at her house and we'll work at creating a Leftovers Pantry from her scraps similar to the one I did in February. 

I did manage to get the deep cleaning done in the Master Suite, sewing room, and another go at the dye closet! That space under the stairwell just asks for the clutter to take up residence in it. I think it sends out invitations to every box, piece of bubble wrap, and recyclable item that comes into this house. 

I know this has been a long post but I’m trying to leave a written legacy for the future. I just know that one day someone will find this just fascinating to read!   Who knows, it might just be me! 

May God bless you with more than you ever imagined. 

Later,
Luann

4 comments:

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Well done with all your successes this quarter! Saying thank you in whatever way you can makes the world a kinder place. I smiled reading you gifting some of your poured pictures to say thank you. Your panel quilt rocks!!

Luann Fischer said...

Thanks Terry

Lynda said...

Luann, I've been intrigued by those scrappy applique patterns. Looking forward to seeing yours finished. Sorry to hear about the loss of friends. It must be the season. I lost two in the past month - one being a friend, the other a work mate from years ago, not counting two spouses of men I worked with years ago. You continue to amaze me how much you get done.

Luann Fischer said...

Lynda, you get some credit for motivating me with the February March Challenge linkup. I planned 'review time' on a weekly basis and that seemed to get me out of the 'slow mode' I was in. Now if I can just kick my walking speed up a tad, lol. Thanks for stopping by and commenting. Our cucumbers, peas, and beans are up. Tomatoes and peppers will be ready next week to be put into the garden. George's thumbs are 'going green' this year! Lol